Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Kisumu’s perilous slide into anarchy

Today's Daily Nation (Kenya's leading newspaper) is running a rather despairing story about how Kisumu is slipping into gangster land. Kenneth Ogosia writes, "The criminals are now targeting the working class, business community and generally everybody trying to embrace order."

As you can imagine, I am very worried about my family and friends. We know that Kisumu's shops have been looted and vandalised and there is nothing left. It was only a matter of time before we were to experience the next level of violence...

There have been various reports about how humanitarian efforts are being compromised because of the violence. I know that Ladies in Action have not been able to get out as much as they want to. And the saddest thing about all this is that it is the very people that need help the most who are suffering because of the actions of gangs made up of their very own people.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It breaks my heart to hear about this. I loved Kisumu and I have such fond memories of the place. I hope your parents stay safe.

Michelle (Bush) Simpson

Sukuma Kenya said...

Hey is this my old friend Michelle who used to climb mango trees with me???

ShareThis